August 5, 2011

Thursday's Interval Run (4th August)

Having only done my basic run yesterday, technically I should have been resting today, but with the Great Spin Out West 2011 (in aid of Cancer Care West) spin coming up on Saturday and the Streets of Galway road race I didn't want to have too much tiredness carrying over in my legs.

I did a bit of a Bear Grylls on it. Normally I have been cycling in and out of the shop, turning the evening home wards trip into a mini interval session on the bike. Rather than cycling in today, I took a lift and brought my running gear with me, so I had no choice other than to wimp out and beg for a lift home.

Monkey business
Essentially being dropped into the virtual 'desert' of Oranmore and having to make my own way out to 'civilisation'. Bear style! I even had my jungle vest and back-pack on to add to the realism of it all.


The planned interval session was 15mins warm up followed by 4 times x4 minutes on and x6 minutes recovery. Expecting to cover 8.5km in 1 hour and 700kcal to be used in the session.


The road from Oranmore to Roveagh has a few ups and downs so there was likely to be some hill work included in the run. Along the Limerick road I was running in the hard shoulder before getting a footpath to run on through Clarinbridge. Turning left into the Brother of Charity estate in Kilcornan I wound my way home.


The last interval was tough as expected, the body was tired and the road runs in an uphill drag through the back woods of the estate. I didn't complete the full of the last 6 min recovery or the 5 min warm down, I did these off the clock at home.


All in all 8.92km in 50:52mins and a 790 kcal burn with average heart rate of 149bpm.

It will be interesting to see how this makes a difference to my 8k race time which is currently 39:27mins recorded in the Maree 8k.



Programmed Interval 04.08.2011 20:24

No comments: