Well its 5pm on Friday afternoon / evening and we've been down to register for the event of the weekend Ironman Galway 70.3 #G703
Plenty of action around Salthill and the prom looks great. Bit of wind, flags are horizontal but the sea is calm, hopefully a good sign.
Registration has been carried out with the usual Triathlon Ireland efficiency, quick and painless. Check in your TI identification, hand stamped. Fill in the 2 page waiver (& yes I did read it!) through to the hall, if you don't know your race number its on the wall in alphabetical order.
Check in at the numbered desk to collect your wrist band (with number), your Ironman bag which contains:
- Race number with your name on it
- Timing chip and timing chip strap
- Red bag - for bike wear / used swim wear
- Blue bag - for run wear / used bike wear
- White bag for - your laying out clothing. No seriously your warm wear for afterwards.
- Sticker sheet - bike sticker, bag sticker (x3) helmet sticker, name sticker, supporters stickers, lots of numbered stickers
- Event program with rules and instructions. Surprised to see a ban on all types of bikes other than road / TT bikes ie tandems (what do visually impaired people do?), recumbents, hybrids and mountain bikes.
- Swim hat (blue in my case)
Over to the Expo to get the obligatory branded bling. So two coffee mugs and a hoodie later we're all off to lunch.
Roll on Sunday, it's going to be a great event. My finish won't be the best but that's not the fault of the organisers who have to be congratulated on the biggest transition area I have ever seen!!
Hope you all enjoy your race! More tomorrow after I drop my bike and gear off and listen to the race briefing.