May 1, 2013

Exercise or Training ??

The first third of 2013 is over and I'm looking back at my training diary since the start of the year. Training Diary

While I haven't been blogging about it I have been logging the sessions. The stand out question that I now have to ask myself is, have I been training? or just exercising?

The distinction has got to be made between exercising with a specific purpose in mind, ie. target races and a planned structured approach to getting fitter, faster and leaner and just exercising to get fitter and diet to get leaner.

I've been fairly consistent in knuckling down to doing sessions but with no big balance in the week or any structure.

I set out my stall in January with some Goals rather than Resolutions for 2013. Technically while I have entered x2 of the three middle distance races I targeted (Tri an Mhi and the Humbert Challenge) and plans are afoot for Amsterdam Marathon in October, I have missed my first stated goal of weight loss.

I'm not too upset by this, I'm still 5kg off the mark. I can become ultra serious about this and lose the weight or I can enjoy the odd beer and slice of cake.


Mrs AKW's chocolate biscuit cake


I like cake! :)

 

If you look at the calendar to date you can see the rather sporadic nature of the sessions. SOme weeks really good and others with nothing. Now, swim sessions are not included in this calendar as I use a Garmin Swim for recording those, however, swim sessions have been thin on the ground as I decided not to rejoin my gym. I was solidly doing Monday / Wednesday and Friday sessions just before I would go to work, right up until the pool was closed to members on account of a schools session. (It's a membership gym which has hired out the pool, due to child protection they close the pool. Fair enough, but excuse enough for me to stop swimming!)


January:


Good solid month to start the year, like most people, motivation is high and the promises to self are still clear.




  • 138k running (treadmill, trail & road)

  • 8k swimming

  • 301k bike (indoors & out). January was also the scene of the crime for my first foray into bike FTP testing.


Jan 2013


February:


Again not too bad, no major rhyme or reason. Mostly trying to tick off the Polar endurance training sessions for the run. Supposed to be working towards the Rock and Road Kinvara Half Marathon in March but if I'm completely honest I was struggling with tiredness, uncertain of my running on account of the injury last autumn and really busy with work so there was no real focus.


Still tried to tick off  a tempo run and several steady runs through the week. Also long runs on Saturday as I ran in & out to meet our #Zero25k group session.




  • 140k running

  • 4k swimming

  • 204k bike



Feb 2013



March:


Brilliant start as I ran a super PB in the Kinvara Half Marathon of 01:39:51!


I've no idea where this result came from and looking at the data it was perfectly paced and comfortable for me. Maybe all the marathon training last autumn is still standing for something!?


I did sit back a bit in the week month or so after the half (recovery!) but managed another bike FTP which had a small increase.




  • 104k run

  • 0k swim

  • 179k bike


March 2013


April:


With race season imminent I finally gave myself a shake and started out the month the right way.


A week's holiday in Lanzarote with the family. Lovely place to do some running, a bit of swimming and just to relax in a bit of sunshine and warmth.


I returned with a bit of vigour (blog post on my 'Volcano Run' to foll0w) and started hitting training targets properly. It helps that a pal and myself keep up the regular longer run on Saturday mornings too.




  • 158k run

  • 3k swim (Open water)

  • 284k bike


April 2013


First race coming up on 18th May, the goal is to keep ticking off the running sessions, continue with 2 turbo sessions per week (focusing on strength / power) x1 steady outdoor session on the bike and get into the sea for some open water swims. Brick sessions with decent effort on the bike followed by progression runs will also feature weekly.


So to answer my openign question, I think I've mostly been exercising this year, time to get training!


Roll on the second third of the year!

No comments: