From our +Amphibian King Galway Facebook page:
What is 'Minimalism' or 'Natural' running?
MINIMALIST RUNNING SHOES FEATURE LOWER MIDSOLE HEIGHTS AND OFFER LESS SUPPORT THAN TRADITIONAL RUNNING SHOES
BY PUTTING THE FOOT CLOSER TO THE GROUND AND ALLOWING A FREER RANGE OF MOTION. MINIMALIST RUNNING SHOES ENCOURAGE A DISTINCT FOOT STRIKE.
MINIMALIST RUNNING SHOES ARE RECOMMENDED FOR RUNNERS UTILIZING OR TRANSITIONING INTO A MIDFOOT / FOREFOOT STRIKE MOST OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH BAREFOOT OR NATURAL RUNNING FORM
WHEN SUPPLEMENTED INTO YOUR WORKOUT MINIMALIST RUNNING SHOES CAN HELP YOU BECOME STRONGER AND MORE EFFICIENT
In +Amphibian King Galway we get asked about minimalism and transitioning to barefoot running, a lot. Like so many things in life there are as many different answers as there are individuals asking the questions. Transitioning to barefoot running or any form of minimalism requires time, dedication and patience.
You have spent how many years to date wearing structured footwear, shoes, runners, boots that have all worked to isolate your feet from their environment. They have protected your feet from that environment, but in doing so your awareness of the environment you are in contact with is diminished. When was the last time you kicked off the shoes and socks and really enjoyed the feel of a lawn?, or dug your feet into a sandy beach? or picked stuff up with your toes? Try it and see.
Having advised so many people and listened to so much feedback on peoples experiences the best advice we can give to people looking to try minimalism running is to go off road. Get out in the woods, into the park, try something completely different from your normal run.
Why are your suggesting to hit the trails?
- Your mindset will be different, you will not be focussed on running x miles at y pace. Just run! And by the way do it without ipod so you enjoy the complete experience of sensory input.
- Your run will be different, you will skip around obstacles, jump over branches, you will feel lighter without focusing on steady stride & casdence.
- The surface is nature. She is forgiving & will welcome you, just leave her as you found her. #LeaveNoTrace
- There is no disruption to your road running habit. Stay as you are running in your normal shoes, to your normal training program and introduce these off road runs as a completely different exercise format.
- The new muscle patterns and runnign form with transfer into your road shoe, You will run better and more efficiently in your 'normal' shoe without having to change anything.
Pick up a pair of low profile trail or minimalist trail shoes, we'll give you help with selecting these, and get out and enjoy. Give yourself a winter of off road minimalist running and you will see the difference for yourself in the Spring.